Friday, July 17, 2009

A break and a haircut



Those are pics from a campus where we spent a few days in Bangalore last week. Must be familiar to many.
Rather frayed by the stress and strain of daily work, hubby and i were glad to get a chance for a short break. We didn’t go to some exotic resort or tourist destination. We just headed for Bangalore, where our family of four lived together for two years after staying apart for many years. Perhaps because of this, i sort of consider the city as ‘home’ though we don’t own an inch of a place there.

Actually, the break came because we had a small work to be done. Then we thought we’d stretch it to a few days for rest and meeting friends. Both our bosses granted us leave, so we took the 24 hours train ride. It’s quite a treat for the eye and mind to look out the window and watch the scenery. For this purpose, i deliberately desisted from packing books except the Bibles and Daily Bread. Hubby did take a book and slept for hours with it on his chest!

Landing in B’lore was a bit of a desolate feeling as our children had left town and gone far away. We put up at a guesthouse to avoid disturbing relatives and friends, though some of them were quite open to accommodate us. They called us for meals all the same. The five day stay was a happy, refreshing time of catching up with dear ones, of relaxing, meditating, conversing and taking long walks.

One family member had reminded me to have a haircut in Bangalore. (Why in Bangalore, is a long story). So i went to the Chinese parlour. Just before my turn, a white haired lady of about 80 had her haircut, short and neat. I asked the hairdresser to cut mine too like hers. She couldn’t quite believe me.
“Are you serious? Do you really want it like that?” she asked.
“Of course,” I replied. “And please make it as short as you can, because it’ll be a long time before i come back for the next cut.”

When i went back to work after returning, my colleagues’ re-actions to my haircut were interesting. Pradeep said, “Your new hairstyle looks nice.” Sharmila remarked, “It’s a bit too short. It doesn’t look good.” And when Priya saw me, she exclaimed “Oh, my goodness!!”








19 comments:

feddabonn said...

...and do we get to see a pic?

Malsawmi Jacob said...

@feddabonn, a little later.

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

I too am an advocate of short hair, I think short hair screams confident. But unfortunately it doesnt suit my round face (once when I got an extremely short haircut one of my boy friends said I looked like a madman). Maybe I'm just not confident enough.

Malsawmi Jacob said...

@Aduh, 'mad man', that's such a funny thing to say. I don't look any better, and ppl have said all kinds of funny things about me too. But it's just so comfy.

Malsawmi Jacob said...

feddabonn, my new photo is on now.

feddabonn said...

nice! screams for round glasses, though.

Sekibuhchhuak said...

Hotunu, in hahchawlhna hmun te chu a nawm hmel khi le. Engngemaw chang chuan, resort hmun lian pui pui ai hian hetiang ang hmun reh, hi a hahdamthlak zaw mah thin.

I sam thar pawh i in hmeh khawp mai :-)

luliana said...

a nawm hmel raih raih hle mai a hmun vel chu :)

Nia, sam thar thlalak vel te chu :P

Calliopia said...

Wow, that's short alright. Looks totally maintenance-free. Glad for you you had such a relaxing break. Some holidays tend to be so hectic you need another holiday to recover. I've never been to B'lore btw. Been to most major Indian cities but Blore always managed to be a miss.

OpaHmar said...

Break in Bangalore sounds nice..unfortunately, I always need a break after my bangalore trips...so I have decided not to go there for leisure

Malsawmi Jacob said...

@Seki,nuam reuh khawp. Thanks for the hair comment, not like Priya.

@Lulian, exam zo hlim em ni? I blog ka en thin a i reh reng a.

@Calliopia, it still needs oil and shampoo, though no dryer. Bangalore must have been a nice place in the old days. It's become just another city now, with traffic snarls and heavy pollution. But the climate is still very pleasant.

@Opa, B'lore's too busy a city for a holiday, actually. But compared to Mumbai it still feels like a resort.

Gauri Gharpure said...

i cut off my hair real short on a whim.. now, two months down the line, i want to get back the usual look asap. the cut suits you. for tht matter, i am seeing u for the first time! :)

Malsawmi Jacob said...

@Gauri, don't you feel short hair feels good, even if it may not look good? There was this friend who used to drop in and cut my hair now and then in any style she wanted. And she told me, "You can experiment with hair, it grows again." And it grows quite fast in summer, so don't worry.

Mizohican said...

Shifting to your new blog now... :-)

Hriatpuia Pa said...

A hnampui tawng chuan, 'Chawlh tlem leh sam tawi te' ti ta ila, a nalh ang em, Hotunu? :)

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Hotupa, nang nge nge, hlathu deuh dapin i rawn dah thiam leh ta pek!

Varte said...

sam a tawi hi chuan kan hawi vah zel a, confi' awl bik tlat, bakah enkawl hahdam zawk bawk si.

OpaHmar said...

I think Neera Desai was covered by Outlook...after u did here,copycat hehe
I still havnt got ur book here at ELS Vellore...are you sure ELS has ordered it??

Malsawmi Jacob said...

@Varte, i ti ve maw? a thawven thlak alawm tiraw?

@Opa, 'Copy cat' indeed, hehe!
The book, please contact the publisher at glseditor@gmail.com
They're selling at Rs.100/-. They can send you from the press itself.